People and Places – Derek 1 – Laveen, Arizona

Download audio file (laveen.mp3)

Aaron: Where are you from?
Derek: I’m from Laveen, Arizona.
Aaron: Where is Laveen?
Derek: Laveen is Southwest of Phoenix.
Aaron: Southwest of Phoenix.
Derek: Phoenix is the capital of Arizona.
Aaron: Yeah? And so how would you describe the place where you grew up?
Derek: It’s a small farm town. It’s been around since probably like the 1850s. It was a trading place a long time ago; early settlers used to go there. And now it’s a farming town. Now it’s changing a lot though, but I don’t live there anymore. But when I was there it was still a farming town.
Aaron: Wow! And so you grew up on a farm?
Derek: We…I don’t think it was a farm; it was actually a ranch. We didn’t grow vegetables or any kind of produce or anything like that. We had cows, we had sheep, we had horses, some chickens.
Aaron: Um-hm.
Derek: We didn’t…we never had a pig, but we had a lot of animals.
Aaron: Wow! And I know that in the Southwest it’s – especially Arizona – it’s famous for the Native American populations there, and I’m wondering if you had much contact with Native Americans living in Arizona?
Derek: That’s right. Actually Laveen, Arizona is in the Southwest corner, as I mentioned before, and it’s very near the Indian reservation. So when I went to school, we had a lot of Indian students who went to our school. We did call them ‘Indian’ students and a lot of them still refer to themselves as ‘Indians’.
Aaron: As ‘Indians’.
Derek: But now the term a lot of times people use is ‘Native American‘, but even on the bus – it was an Indian bus – and yes, there were a lot of….a lot of them.
Aaron: Oh, how about that. And also, Arizona is close to the Mexican border. Is there a significant population of Mexicans living in Arizona?
Derek: There are a lot of Mexicans in Arizona. In fact, my mother is Mexican-American, but she’s from Texas, actually. Um, but I grew up around a lot of Mexicans and a lot of times I wasn’t accepted by them because I was also white, because my father was German and uh….yeah.

17 Responses to “People and Places – Derek 1 – Laveen, Arizona”

1. Walter D says:

My answers:

1. Where is Derek from?
    He’s from Laveen, Arizona.

2. Where is Laveen?
    Laveen is Southwest of Phoenix.

3. Where is Arizona?
    It’s in Phoenix

4. Is Derek from a big city?
    No, he isn’t. Remember he’s from Laveen

5. Does he still live in his hometown?
    No, he doesn’t.

6. What is Arizona famous for?
    It’s famous for its Native American populations

7. What term do a lot of people use for “Indian” now?
    Now people use Native American

8. Which national border is Arizona close to?
    Arizona is close to Mexico.

9. Is there a significant population of Mexicans in Arizona?
    Yes, there is.

10. Are there a lot of Mexicans in Texas?
    I guess there are, because Texas is near Phoenix.

11. Is Derek’s mother German?
    No, she isn’t. She is Mexican American

12. Is his father Mexican?
    No, he isn’t. He is German

• Dharmakeerthi says:

This lesson is very good. I like that lesson. That type of lesson gave me lot in speaking, reading and answering for question and listning and understanding.

2. mohamed says:

Good conversations

3. Lilly says:

Thank you so much for the above people and place
    conversation. This is very informative and interesting.

4. raquel says:

Thanks you for this lesson. It is really useful to improve my knowledge in English

5. Mona Sami says:

1. The difference between a farm and a ranch is that a farm is a place where we can grow vegetables or any kind of produce or anything like that but a ranch is a large farm, where cattle or other animals are bred and raised like what he said in this conversation that we had cows, we had sheep, we had horses, some chickens.
    2. The noun mean things that have been produced or grown, especially by farming.
    3. Laveen is a small farm town. It’s been around since probably like the 1850s. It was a trading place a long time ago; early settlers used to go there. And now it’s a farming town. Now it’s changing a lot though, but Derek doesn’t live there anymore. But when he was there it was still a farming town.
    4. I learn that native Americans are Indians because of their origin as actually Laveen is very near the Indian reservation. So when Derek went to school, he had a lot of Indian students who went to his school. they did call them ‘Indian’ students and a lot of them still refer to themselves as ‘Indians’. But now the term a lot of times people use is ‘Native American‘.

6. dwi says:

So happy to be able joining this website. It certainly helps me a lot in learning English. Thank you ^^…

7. Paola rodríguez says:

1. In a farm did grow vegetables or any kind of produce but in a ranch We had cows, had sheep, we had horses, some chickens.

2. Yes, because in the text say ¨any kind of produce or anything like that¨.

3. It’s a small farm town. It was a trading place a long time ago; And now it’s a farming town. Now it’s changing a lot though, but I don’t live there anymore.

4. In Arizona lived the native american, a lot of them refer to themselves as ‘Indians’.

8. samphors says:

is good for me i really like i hope my English i s better than before

9. yasmeen says:

I am very thankful to you for my help in English .

Sometimes I can not find the right words to express what I want to say. Soimetimes I get nervous. Too much is happening. There is too much going on.

11. nam says:

I have a question for you…
    if you dont mind please reply for me…
    when I speak english.. I cant imagine what words can despribe my think.. 🙁
    and I also always make mistake with grammar when speaking |

All of those questions were in present simple tense. Here are the answers.

1. Derek is from Laveen, Arizona.
    2. Laveen is in Arizona.
    3. The text does not say, but Arizona is in the U.S.
    4. No, he is not. He is from a ranch outside a farming town.
    5. No, he doesn’t. He doesn’t live there any more.
    6. Arizona is famous for its native populations.
    7. Nowadays a lot of people use the term, “Native American”.
    8. Arizona is close to the Mexican border.
    9. Yes, there is. There are a lot of Mexicans in that State.
    10. The text does not say, but there are. It is next to Mexico.
    11. No, she is not. She is Mexican-American.
    12. No, he is not. He is German.

Here are some questions about the text.

1. Where is Derek from?
    2. Where is Laveen?
    3. Where is Arizona?
    4. Is Derek from a big city?
    5. Does he still live in his hometown?
    6. What is Arizona famous for?
    7. What term do a lot of people use for “Indian” now?
    8. Which national border is Arizona close to?
    9. Is there a significant population of Mexicans in Arizona?
    10. Are there a lot of Mexicans in Texas?
    11. Is Derek’s mother German?
    12. Is his father Mexican?