Studying in India

Download audio file (studyinginindia.mp3)

sitar
at dashingyankee

Mark: So I am just sitting in an Indian restaurant with my friend, Arthur. Arthur, you have been to India, haven’t you?
Arthur: Yes.
Mark: Tell us about it. When did you first go there?
Arthur: in September 1969…
Mark : September…?
Arthur: 1969.
Mark: Wow, that was a long time ago. Did you fly or did you take a boat?
Arthur: No, I flew…
Mark: You flew.
Arthur: Yeah.
Mark: And where did you fly to first?
Arthur: Tokyo.
Mark: Tokyo….Tokyo, India? Ha ha ha.
Arthur: No, Tokyo Japan.
Mark: And then you flew…to…from…?
Arthur: We stayed in Tokyo for about a week
Mark: Um-hm.
Arthur: We bought all cameras and everything.  Everything was really cheap there…my friends all bought…I was with about eighty or ninety American students, so we all went together…so they all bought really good stereos and had them sent on to India.
Mark: Wow
Arthur: So we had good sound systems there. And then we went to Hong Kong and then Bangkok for like three or four days…and then we went straight to Calcutta.
Mark: This was during the Vietnam War, 1969…wow…and then from Calcutta…you flew to Calcutta?
Arthur: We stayed in Calcutta just I think one night and then we flew down to Bangalore.
Mark: And you went to India to study?
Arthur: Yeah, I was doing my third year of university.
Mark : Uhm-hm..
Arthur: It was a very liberal arts college that sent everyone abroad…a little bit later they went to Japan. When I was going there they were going to India…two or three years everybody went to India and we stayed in a hotel in Bangalore and we studied at Bangalore University.
Mark: And what kind of things did you study?
Arthur: aah Kanada, the language, Indian philosophy, Indian religion. I studied sitar.
Mark: …the musical instrument?
Arthur: Yeah, sitar.
Mark: Do you still play?
Arthur: Well, I haven’t played for a long time. I guess I…I don’t have a sitar any more.
Mark: Do you have a favorite raga?
Arthur: Mmm The first one I learned was Yeman.
Mark: Uh-huh.
Arthur: I liked Bhairavi.
Mark: Bhairavi. I like that one.
Arthur: I like Bhairavi. Yeman was a little bit difficult. It had a lot of notes. We usually start on that. I first started teaching (studying) with a disciple of Ravi Shankar
Mark: Wow!
Arthur: So he would stick us on one raga for a long time and I really enjoyed that and I decided that I wanted to concentrate more…and then I decided to go to Calcutta for three months to do independent study.
Mark: Right.
Arthur: So I asked the head of the school and he said that was ok.
Mark: Uh-huh.
Arthur: So I went to Calcutta and I found another teacher and his name was Balaram Hatta.
Mark: Say that again.
Arthur: Balaram Hatta.
Mark: I wonder if he is still around.
Arthur: His son is. He died.
Mark: Wow.
Arthur: His son is actually teaching in Belgium now.
Mark: Wow.
Arthur: His son’s name is Ashoka.
Mark: Uh-huh.
Arthur: He was my teacher he was the one I spent the most time with and I met…actually I met Ravi Shankar. I went to his house I went to a really rich Indians house and there was a small house and Ravi Shankar played…and I went around to all the…in Calcutta.
Mark: Mm.
Arthur: And I stayed for about five months and then I came back and did a recital, which constituted my grade. I passed.

15 Responses to “Studying in India”

1. shyangbolama says:

I can write English well but I couldn’t speak well

When I speak English I have to think then after have to tell.

Please help me I want to speak well English with every people .

2. Pleas help me I wont Learn English Spiking & written for first BA degree

3. Pleas help me I wont Learn English Spiking & written

4. Rajshekhar says:

The way both Mark and Arthur met in a restaurant and started the conversation was really well connected with readers. Readers can visualize the seen very easily. They started conversing with each other about India trip. Arthur mentioned about an electronic gadget they bought from Japan before they flew to the next country by using flight instead by boat. He entered Calcutta first and then traveled to Bangalore. He met Ravishankar and learned sitar with raga’s like Bairavi and Yeman. Later he moves back to Calcutta to continue his further study of sitar from Mr. Hatta. He has addressed about Mr.Hatta and his son who is teaching sitar right now in Belgium. Finally he said he had enjoyed his student life in India gorgeously. It was a nice live conversation between Mark and Arthur, I believe each and every one who is reading or hearing the audio will definitely learn a lot about verbs as well as present past tense.

5. Rajshekhar says:

The way both Mark and Arthur met in a restaurant and started the conversation was really well connected with readers. Readers can visualize the seen very easily. They started conversation with each about the India trip. Arthur mentioned about an electronic gadgets they bought from Japan before they flew to next country by using flight instead by boat. He entered Calcutta first and then traveled to Bangalore. He met Ravishankar and learned sitar with raga’s like Bairavi and Yeman. Later he move back to culcutta to continue his further study of sitar from Mr. Hatta. He has addressed about Mr.Hatta and his son who is teaching sitar right now in Belgium. Finally he said he has enjoyed his student life in India gorgeously. It is was a nice live convesation between Mark and Arthur, I believe each and every one who is reading or listening the audio will definitely learn a lot about verbs as well as present past tense.
    Regards
    Raj.

6. Thank you for any other magnificent post. The place else may just
    anybody get that kind of info in such an ideal manner of writing?
    I have a presentation next week, and I am at the search
    for such info.

7. Adelina says:

This conversation is very interesting and I think it is a help to improve my listenig abilitry, thank you very muchfor your material , It´s a great chance to learn more.

8. kayahan kaya says:

if you add me we may speak english my e mail is kayahankaya25@gmail see you

Hmmmm. Now that is a nice idea.

10. INDIANsagar says:

Oh Mark , thanks again. Are u gonna live in India ?

11. Baltazar says:

I may be wrong but It seems to me that script lacks the verb “Went” in this line:
    Arthur: So we had good sound systems there. And then we went to Hong Kong and then Bangkok for like three or four days…and then we (went)straight to Calcutta.
    Straight it is not a verb, isn’t it?
    However, my compliments for the website, very very interesting for covering so many nuances of english language from all over the world.
    Greetings from Italy

12. ojieea says:

i tried to answer the question,Mark please help me how to improve my English and i hope i get a new method an easier way to learn English from u and Aaron. thanks a lot!!

1. Where is Mark sitting?
    2. Who is he sitting with?
    3. In what year did Arthur first go to India?
    4. In what month did he go there?
    5. Did he fly?
    6. Where did he stop over?
    7. What did he buy in Japan?
    8. What did he study in India?
    9. Where did he do his independent study?
    10. What did he study independently?
    11. Is his teacher still alive?
    12. Did he meet Ravi Shankar?
    13. Who is Ravi Shankar?
    14. Did Arthur pass the independent study component?
    15. Did he give a recital?
    16. What is a recital?

• ojieea says:

my answer..
      1.in an Indian restaurant
      2.he sitting with his friend Arthur
      3.1969
      4.September
      5.yes
      6.Tokyo,Japan
      7.all cameras and everything
      8.kanada,Indian philosophy,Indian religion and music instrument like sitar.
      9.Calcutta
      10.Yeman
      11.no,he died
      12.yes
      13.Ravi Shankar is raga/music Indian teacher
      14.yes
      15.yes
      16.recital is a formal public performance of music or poetry.