The Man from Marseilles

Download audio file (marseilles.mp3)

Mark: So Eric, you are from France?
Eric: Yes.
Mark: Which part?
Eric: Which park?
Mark: Which part?!
Eric: My part is Marseilles. My city is Marseilles and my country is France.
Mark: But you speak English with an Indian accent.
Eric: An Indian accent? It is true?
Mark: It is nice.
Eric: It is strange because in France I have had a good teacher and for the accent very strict, no?
Mark: Uh-huh.
Eric: Because in France we say: “Where is my car?” You know?
Mark: With a strong accent?
Eric: Yeah a strong accent. The teacher said, “No. Where is your car?” It is different, no?
Mark: Uh-huh.
Eric: It is ok. That is why in India also they speak like me. Not with a big accent and me also. I do not have a strong accent in English. That is why for me it is easier to understand the Indian English.
Mark: Uh-huh.
Eric: Sometimes I heard some people who came from England and they had a very strong accent. I did not understand.
Mark: A difficult accent?
Eric: Yes because they rolled…You understand rolling accent?
Mark: Not really. Rolling? Rolling (their “r”s)?

9 Responses to “The Man from Marseilles”

1. ojieea says:

nice conversation and story..thank q!!

2. Suhanto says:

Dear Editor of English Conversation

I find your web great English learning materials. I appreciate them as an English teacher from Surabaya Indonesia. Your contribution is very useful for me.

Suhanto Kastaredja

3. Jegadish says:

nice conversations…………it helps me more

4. flordeliz bantilan says:

the conversion is throughly related to the life issue wherein you would ask somebody from what country is he belong which is also usually happened if you can meet a person, maybe for the first time

5. flordeliz bantilan says:

6. Sergio says:

Dear friends:
    I saw your offers in E .English at Internet and so I decided to drop those lines to you and hope you enjoy it and wrotte me back to try to help each other in the Real English wrotte and spoacking. I am brazilian and my mother language is Portuguese and I live In Rio de Janeiro, Brasil ( with “s” never “z” )
    I have been travelling by U.S.A. and United Kingdon for a couple of time and also by the entire Europe incluiding Swissland. My name is Sergio and I am a retired police officer for Rio de janeiro P.D. (Police Chief level)
    I always praticque my English and French lessons in the Web Internet (free videos)
    I intend to travel again next december to Berna (Swissland) because I appreciatte the snow very much.
    Now I hope I can hear from you soon and I`m looking forward in this way! Best regards, Sergio

7. Carlos Saavedra says:

Nice conversation to practice.
    Thanks

8. Amy says:

Hello
    and thank you so much for the wide panel of conversations. This one is great fun for my (French) students!
    Wishing you the very best…and Good luck!