A New Life in Mosquito City – Part 15 – I am going to get a newspaper

Download audio file (anlimc15.mp3)

Mark: Okay. So. I have just finished my lunch. I have had a delicious piece of quiche lorraine and salad and a nice glass of red wine and I don’t feel like coffee. I am going to go outside and go for a walk and have a look at Mosquito City. And yeah. (to the waiter) Thanks for the meal. That was delicious. Bye. Ok. I am going to get a newspaper.
Outside
(to a man in the street) Excuse me.
The Man in the Street: Yeah. Can I help you?
Mark: Do you know where I can buy a newspaper by any chance?
The Man in the Street: Yeah sure. I will give you directions. It is a little bit complicated. If you follow my hand…
Mark: Yes.
The Man in the Street: You go straight along this road as far as you can until you come to a palm tree. Like several palm trees.
Mark: Uh-huh.
The Man in the Street: Coconut trees.
Mark: Coconut trees.
The Man in the Street: As soon as you pass the coconut trees, turn to your left and go straight until you come to a very big traditional house. A dark wooden house. And then you turn left and immediately right and then you follow the island…around…
Mark: To get a newspaper. Isn’t there somewhere in the city where I can get a newspaper?
The Man in the Street: Well, it is not as difficult as it seems actually. Ok. Yeah. I am sorry. I forgot. There is one just over there!

20 Responses to “A New Life in Mosquito City – Part 15 – I am going to get a newspaper”

1. js0p says:

xD, it was funny!

2. chris says:

well,look up in my dictionary,it’s quaint,yah,quaint!

3. Ashraf says:

Hi,
    The dialoques are good but the accent is not good. It is not the Ameican’s accent!

4. omor faroque says:

not bad, it will improve slowly
    some time its sound is not british accent.

5. nestor says:

I remember this man’s voice. He must be the travel agent who refused to sell the ticket to Mark. :)

Hi Nestor

This is how we did it: Alec (who is English) and I (who am Australian) recorded the dialogues but we did it spontaneously.

We thought up the situation and then we acted it out with no text. We ad-lib-ed the text. We made it up as we went along. There was no script. That is why it sounds natural. That is why it does not sound like a dialogue which is being read.

I played the part of Mark (which is my real name) and Alec played all the other parts. He is good at doing different regional and national accents and putting on a woman’s voice etc etc. He is a good actor.

I really like the idea of doing drama/theatre …

(and life is like a play on a stage or a performance in a theatre, isn’t it?)

…by giving the actors the situation and getting them to ad-lib the dialogue (making it up as they go along). That way they can be natural and spontaneous. When people read lines from a page, the resulting sound can come across as stilted and wooden. It can sound unnatural and fake.

I am glad you like the Mosquito City series. If you like something it is like opening a door because then you will want to do more of it. By doing more of it you improve your English. I will talk to Alec and see if he wants to record some more episodes. If you tell me what situations you need English for, we can include them in our story.

7. Nestor says:

Hi Mark,

Terrific and impressed. Thanks for your details.
    No doubt Alec is an excellent actor, and all of us who get benefits from EnglishConversations should definitely appreciate you for your great efforts.

I downloaded mosquito city and other topic’s dialogs to my MP3, and listened them again and again. I’m really enjoying them.

As to me, I am Chinese. I am a software engineer, working in an American computer company in Shanghai city, China. I kept studying English even I had graduated from college two years ago. I would like to improve my English not only for my job, I just don’t want to give it up.

In China, typically, a student studies English from elementary school. He/she has spent more than ten years on studying English when he/she left college. But it is a pity that the purpose of studying English is not mastering this language, but just for examination and entering higher level school. So almost all of them give up and stop studying English when they leave school.

Well, if there should be answers for my interesting on English, I would say:
    I would like I can read/study data/books in English, watch movies in English. And I would like to give my help to foreigner in China, who need help but have language problem. :)

Thank you again.

–Nestor

8. Nestor says:

And I would like to share EnglishConversations with my friends. I bet they will love it.

Hey Nestor

I have never seen a data book. I would like to learn more about computers. I would like to learn more about computer languages. I am really interested in the philosophy of language.

However I am not sure if I would be able to help you in the area of data books. I will try to find out what they are, however. I guess it is some kind of computer manual? Can you send me a link to an online data book?

You can easily watch movies in English and read the Chinese translation on a dvd so I think it is easy enough to understand movies.

I love the sub-title feature on many dvds. I am an English teacher but I am also an enthusiastic learner of lots of different languages; in fact any language I can get a chance to learn.

It is great that in this digital age we can more and more easily get access to information in many languages and we can learn other languages and understand each other better. Understanding is the key to all things, I do believe.

I hope some lucky foreigner in China runs into you and you help him or her better understand the place he or she is in. I have lived and worked and traveled in China and I can still speak a little Chinese.

Now I am teaching in Australia and I speak with Chinese students every day. I want to know more about Chinese movies and Chinese music.

I am really interested in the fact that Chinese music and Western music and music in other cultures use various different types of scales.

10. Nestor says:

Hi Mark,

As to the computer data sheet or relative books, I don’t have much difficulties in reading and understanding them, except for some new words, which I can easily check out them in a dictionary. I really think, for most of the English learning, communication in oral English is the most important thing. What they need are listen and understand and practise the dialogs in the daily life. These are what you are doing, and you are doing well.

Yes, there are subtitles on the movies, which are translated by someone. But sometimes I found the translations were bad, and they could not express the original meanings and feelings. I would like to understand the original language by myself. I also think understanding a language is somehow understanding its cultures.

I’m glad to know that you want to know more about Chinese movies and Chinese music, and also you are interested in all kinds of music. I love music too, in all kinds languages/cultures.

I am not sure what aspects you want to know more about Chinese movie or music. It will be my pleasure if I can provide you any helps on Chinese language, culture, or any other info. You can reach me directly by my email address.

11. Micho says:

when the man in the street is giving the direction to Mark is missing a little part, i suppose it says: “i mean seem you passed the coconut trees turn to you left” and after that follow with “Go straight until you come to a very big traditional house. A dark wooden house. And then you turn left and immediately right and then you follow the”

• Aaron says:

I went ahead and added the missing part. It is, “As soon as you pass the coconut trees, turn to your left and…”

Thanks for pointing that out Micho!

12. ... says:

come on guys d?alogues are not bad but no download. its just waste of time

The download is at the top of the page.

14. marwa hassan says:

its so helpful thanks

15. marwa hassan says:

that is helpful thanks

16. mohamed yacine says:

hello, it seems a very long walk!!!

17. Dominic Le says:

I am studying your series. I like it so much. It’s really helpful and interesting. However, up to now I don’t know where is Mosquito City? Is it an island of Australia or a city of Japan? By the way, in the episode 6 there’s new word “banana boat”. I checked it on Google, and I could see that it’s just a boat for recreation. I don’t know how can it have a wheelhouse and an engine to run. Can you explain for me?

18. Fula Lones says:

Hey, Mark
    It’s been months I´ve been visiting your website to find out more about this interesting and enthusiastic method of teaching/learning. Actually I’m a trainee teacher in Luanda, Angola and for a couple of months I’ve been facing a big challenge i.e help my student gain fluency and confidence when speaking the language.
    I think your method works, but I’ve got some concerns: 1.How can I get or design interactive stories for lower level? I notice that you can find these stories from lower intermediate level, I wonder wether I can find it for beginners too (I deal more with beginner and elementary classes). I would appreciate any suggestions and tipis from you