How do you make feijoada?

Download audio file (feijoada.mp3)

Mark has a Brazilian Neighbour. He asked her how to make feijoada.

Mark: How do you make feijoada?
Brazilian Neighbour: To make a feijoada you need black beans, chorizo
Mark: That is a kind of sausage, isn’t it?
Brazilian Neighbour: It is. Spanish sausage.
Mark: Uh-huh.
Brazilian Neighbour: You can also get a Portuguese chorizo
Child: Daddy…..!
Brazilian Neighbour: And also you need…you need pork.
Mark: Yeah. Like a piece of pork?
Brazilian Neighbour: A piece of pork. M-hm. And you also need bay leaf.
Mark: Ah!?
Brazilian Neighbour: Put a little bay leaf in there. And you need paprika and you need cumin. And also you need coriander. Coriander..
Mark: Fresh or seeds or …?
Brazilian Neighbour: Fresh. Fresh.
Mark: The leaves?
Brazilian Neighbour: The leaves. Yeah. You put it right in the end.
Mark: Right. OK. Wow!
Brazilian Neighbour: So that is the ingredients. How to make it. First you need to soak the beans overnight.
Mark: Right.
Brazilian Neighbour: Right. And then…Normally I have a pressure cooker.
Mark: Yeah? So it does it quickly?
Brazilian Neighbour: It does it quickly. Yeah. It only takes about a half an hour.
Mark: It is good to soak them though.
Brazilian Neighbour: Yeah.
Mark: Germinate. Grow a little bit.
Brazilian Neighbour: So..Alright then..You put the beans into the pressure cooker, water, then you put the pork meat and you put also the chorizo in it
Mark: Yep.
Brazilian Neighbour: And in another pan you chop up some onion and garlic and you fry it with olive oil and you put it into the beans …
Mark: Yep.
Brazilian Neighbour: And you cook that for about half an hour.
Mark: Right.
Brazilian: And then.
Mark: All in the pressure cooker?
Brazilian Neighbour: All in the pressure cooker…Yeah…

Can you tell us more about Brazilian food?  How do you make feijoada?

Check out the Brazilian Food page or go to the Food Page.

15 Responses to “How do you make feijoada?”

1. shama'a says:

hi to every body
    i’m very glad to that especially to that kind of lesson (food)
    it’s difeerent type of lesson ‘ and it admired me so i want alot of various kind of english lestening lesson.

god bless you
    shama’a

2. ziba says:

I havent cooked Feijoada but I learn it now.
    The ingrediants is inclouded black beans’chorizo’garlic’onion’coriander’paprika’
    bay leaf’pork meat.
    To make the Feijoada first you need to soak beans overnight and put it in a pressure cooker for an half an hour then add bay leaf and meat pork.
    And also in another pan you also chopp onion and garlic with some olive oil and fry it then add to bean you cook that for half an hour.
    Don’t forget to add some salt it depend on you that how much it would be and enjoy it.

3. Pick says:

Hi..
    I look for friend to chat in English .My name is Pick from Bangkok , Thailand.
    I wanna improve conversation and I love to learn diferent life from other country . my skype : pickkungsadal or gtalk : pick.bluepin@gmail.com

see you everybody..

4. Riaz Hussain says:

It is a nice and informative conversation about brazilian food.I appriciate it but it should be in video.
    Thanks!

5. hanad says:

i don’t know this now days what is going on the wibesite, i didn’t get any lessons so what’s up aeron and mark pls may u give me a detials about my lessons thnx u my best teachers

6. roshy says:

Hello every body i want practice english on skype .
    thnks
    my account is rosha-moo

• Ali says:

hi h r u ???

• Michael says:

Hey Ali,
        I have a tip for you. I noticed you like to abbreviate words like a native speaker. As native speakers we use “r” as in “are” because it sounds like the letter “r” and “u” as in “you” because it sounds like the letter “u.”
        you = u
        are = r

But “h” doesn’t sound like the word “how” does it? No. So you shouldn’t use “h” to represent the word “how” when you’re chatting online. It might confuse the other person who doesn’t understand your abbreviations. Maybe it’s alright to type like this with close friends but with strangers it’s probably safe not to do it. As another tip, I’d recommend not doing it as you are practising your English. It’s just a bad habit to get into. If you plan to write a resume in the future it will look really unprofessional.

Good luck with your English!

7. kalidas says:

It’s very useful to me
    thank you.

8. Tetê da Silva says:

here you learn english and learn to cook, only one point in brasil you don’t put chorizo on the feijoada you put “linguiça” is kind of sausage its like a spanish chourizo. In brazil the chorizo is made with a pork blod and here in spain called morcilla. Its deliciusss

9. ali says:

thanks for help teach british english
    i am hobby english language for undrestand world
    i am third acturation people

10. uol thison says:

i want study english but i dont speak? you can help me speak english very well.

11. omar sierra says:

very interesting when i was a teacher at the Normal Superior here in Barranquilla I had a nice brazilian gils and aday she invited me to eat feiohada com arroz or the contrary feiohada with arroz 8rice) it was a good dish and she also gave a song with the title Feioda with arroz.
    Thanks for the opportunity
    Omar

12. Suhanto Kastaredja says:

Very good lessons

13. Claudius says:

It’s a good practise for me to improve my english skills especially listening to the englis native conversation.

Claudius