What Do You See?

A father talks with his 8-year-old daughter talk about some drawings by Stan Alec Roberts.

Father: Ok, you can open your eyes now, and I want you to look at each picture and tell me what you see and how you feel about it. Let’s look at the first picture. What do you see?
Daughter: I see a tiger city with trees and all kinds of houses.
Father: And what’s going on in front of the city. What do you see there?
Daughter: I see trees on the tiger’s cheeks.
Father: Oh really?
Daughter: Yeah.
Father: And what do you see near the tiger’s eyes?
Daughter: Lights and streets.
Father: Interesting. Would you like to live in that little tiger city?
Daughter: Maybe not because it moves.
Father: It moves?
Daughter: The tiger mouth. The tigers move, so I don’t want to stay there. It’s an earthquake always.
Father: Let’s look at the next picture, ok?
Daughter: Ok. Wow!
Father: Describe that picture for me.
Daughter: It’s a guy and he has a little nest on his head with a blue bird and seven eggs.
Father: Seven eggs.
Daughter: Pink eggs.
Father: Pink eggs.
Daughter: And then he’s feeling happy because they’re going to hatch soon and he can have new friends.
Father: Why does he have a nest on his head?
Daughter: Um, difficult. I think accidentally, when he was rocking in the forest it dropped.
Father: And it landed on his head?
Daughter: Hm, and he doesn’t notice, but he hears the birds, so he’s keeping it on there, so he can make new friends.
Father: Interesting. Do you think the bird is happy?
Daughter: He looks happy, kind of.
Father: The bird. Do you think it’s a he or a she?
Daughter: I think it’s a she because the males go get the food and the females stay in their nest so they can protect the eggs.
Father: Let’s look at the next picture. What do you see happening there?
Daughter: Hm. It’s about a picture in the night with an…a city in a hat, with a Buddha in the little palace. And then, all the way to the back there’s mountains and trees, but they’re different. The trees are different. And, and on one side of the picture the moon is round, but on the other side of the picture it’s almost going to be gone. So, the guy that has the moon that’s round, he’s happy because it’s lucky – a day. But the other guy, the other guy on the other side with the moon almost going to shrink and be gone, he’s sad about it because he’s lucky.
Father: Interesting. Let’s look at the next picture. Talk about this one. What is it?
Daughter: It’s a rabbit with a hat on that says 2011. This year is 2011, so maybe, and, 2011 is the rabbit year, so I think this picture is about the rabbit year of 2011.
Father: Interesting. Very good. And what is the rabbit looking at?
Daughter: Us.
Father: Really. How does he feel?
Daughter: I think he feels happy because it’s his own year.
Father: Let’s look at the next picture. Talk about this one.
Daughter: On the bottom it looks like it says, “floating.” From his nose, it looks like a beard, but it’s blood coming out of his nose. And from the chin there is fire coming out, but it looks like a beard. And his hair, it looks nice, but it might be blood coming out of his brain. And he looks kind of, um, really sad. But his mouth looks like he’s talking about something. On the bottom it says, “floating,” so maybe he’s saying, “I’m floating.”
Father: Ok. Let’s look at the next picture. Talk about this one.
Daughter: It looks like a two-headed human with four eyes, one nose, and one mouth. And it looks like, that, he got another person’s head, about right where almost his nose is going to appear, but one guy cut it and put it on his head. And that guy, that got cut off, is wearing a hat. But the guy down below doesn’t notice because he was bald and he didn’t have no hair, but now he has hair with two more eyes and a hat.
Father: Wow. Ok. Let’s look at this picture.
Daughter: Oh! That picture…it looks like he’s on a camp, and he’s, and then he is sitting and on the back of there, there’s bugs and maybe the mind is playing tricks on him to make the bugs bigger and the animals creepier and much more bigger. And then, he’s holding his food and he’s thinking about, “Don’t take my food. That’s my food.”
Father: How does he feel?
Daughter: I think he feels, just, really angry, because maybe…a crab is back there, and the other is a beetle, and maybe they’re trying to get back there, so maybe he’s talking with his mind.
Father: I see. What is he looking at?
Daughter: He’s looking straight. But, it’s a picture, so I don’t know. Maybe he’s looking at the people that’s looking at him.
Father: I see. Ok. Very good.

22 Responses to “What Do You See?”

1. Gulum says:

It is great…thanksss))

2. Lara says:

Nice conversation ,, thanks a lot

3. Bambang says:

Excellent !..I do love this helpful conversation. but..how can I download them?

4. ha says:

Thank you very much. i love this website.

5. ha says:

Thank you very much, all of your video, conversation is so much helpful. I love it !

6. shama'a says:

hi to everybody I’m glad to see and listen that usefull and interesting lesson .
    I wanna someone to improve my english language especially listening and speaking so I wanna excellent one .
    please email me on :

lighter_r_candle@hotmail.com

regards

shama’a

7. mahdi says:

Would you please send me the conversation audio in the format of mp3.

8. mahdi says:

Would you please send me the conversation audio in the mp3 format.

9. Alfredo says:

Pleasse send me mp3 conversation,

10. Rick says:

Hi I’m a friend of Alex,have some of his artwork, say hello from me and get him to give me his e-mail address.
    I’ve told Santos were almost in touch( he will know )

11. Ignacio says:

Anybody knows of a weekly podcast where the hosts are a father and a child? I think that would be great for English students as we learn faster by listening to a specific child often, than by – for exemple- listening to a great scholar , or reading Faulkner. If fluency is our main goal, Thanks

12. Simran says:

Hi I need this conversation. Can u pl mail me this on simranpreet_kaur71@yahoo.com

Thanks….

13. white mouse says:

Thanks for your lesson, it is verry interesting, I like it verry much and I feel that have to hard working more. I’m impatient to receive new lesson you send. What time you send me the lesson 2? At A.M, Hope to you send me soon,

14. white mouse says:

Hi Mari,

I nice to meet you, I see your comment on this that if i want to practic English i can contact with you by skype, So you do not worry if i add your nick in to my friedship. Are you OK?

15. white mouse says:

It’s very interesting and usueful, I like it very much. I want to download to my hand phone, But I can not, i has tried all way but can not, so can you help me? thanks for your help and have a nice day

16. Mari says:

It’s wonderful!!! I like it! Is there anyone who wants practicing English? Write to me on skype: mari_gio1995 let’s have friendship!!!

17. Oscar Belo says:

Hi, thank you for your interesting website and could you tell me how can I download the video. I need it to save in my ipod because I don’t have internet at home.

• Bobby says:

audiences for this book. First, those professionals who work with iencst survivors will find the results of knowledge gained from Dr Herman’s experience studying this particular field of sexual abuse and working with those directly affected. Secondly, those who work with abuse victims in any care-giving capacity will find some guidance through the minefield of taboo and denial that tends to accompany this topic. Thirdly, this book is invaluable to some of the survivors who themselves can deal face the reality of the past while trying to understand that it isn’t their fault and they are not necessarily alone in the conflicting feelings they have experienced. Dr Herman’s work in this area is well-presented and relatively easy to follow. By relying on facts, by incorporating case studies, and through referring to the history of the various iencst taboos and practices, Dr Herman makes it easier for sufferers and caregivers alike to discuss the undiscussable. One could wish that such studies were not necessary, and that no parent ever abused their position of power and authority. One could also wish that care and help was readily available to each child who has suffered at the time that the abuse was first experienced. By opening the topic to discussion and through publishing books which deal with behaviour in context and the consequences for individuals, families and communities, society is better equipped to help sufferers become survivors. Or so I hope. Jennifer Cameron-Smith

18. Tawfek says:

Wonderful,rich and helpful!!

19. AFAQ ALI says:

thats was really very interesting video and they were very good at their work

20. Zana says:

Hi. thank you for your interesting website.How can i download the audio for these conversations? I really tried,but i didnt succeed at all. please help me. or you can send me the link for downloading these conversations. I will be glad if you answer me! THANKS!