Carmen – Episode 5

Download audio file (carmen5.mp3)

Carmen
cover art by Stan Alec Roberts
Download the entire Carmen course.

This is Episode 5 of Carmen, a self-study listening and speaking Interactive Story course for intermediate level English language learners. Just listen to the story and answer the questions aloud.

Episode 5 – The Kiss of Passion

Suddenly the moonlight shone in the window. Everything was clear. Was Carmen’s face illuminated by the moonlight? Was Jose’s face illuminated by the moonlight? Jose relented. In a moment of madness, Jose relented.

Suddenly the moonlight shone in the window, the light changed and Jose relented. Do you sometimes change your mind and accept something after a long period of refusing to accept it?

Somehow the effect of the moonlight reflected in Carmen’s eyes had a hypnotic effect on Jose. He lost control. He forgot his dream. He forgot his sweetheart. He forgot everything. He even forgot his mother. Are you a forgetful person?

Jose took Carmen in his arms. He kissed her.

He took her in his arms. He took her in his arms and he kissed her passionately. He kissed her furiously. He kissed her furiously and passionately. Is kissing uncommon in your culture?

Sometimes people kiss as a greeting. Sometimes people kiss like birds making love. Each culture has a different attitude to kissing. What is the attitude to kissing in public in your culture?

Passive Focus

Ok to sum up… the moon shone in the window and this illuminated Carmen. Her face was illuminated in the moonlight. Jose lost control. He rained kisses on Carmen. The is the part where Jose is seduced by Carmen or should we say Carmen is seduced by Jose? Hmmm… Carmen is kissed by Jose. What do you think? Was Carmen seduced by Jose or was Jose seduced by Carmen?

———————————–

To listen to the rest of the story, download the full version now: Carmen.

Background music from the public domain, at Community Audio.

32 Responses to “Carmen – Episode 5”

1. pratap tamta says:

I think this story is most important for learning guys. thanks very much teacher.

2. HAMED .M.SH says:

thanha alot because it is good store to learn english

3. abodi says:

thank you very much for this greatest story .
    it’s really fantastic and useful lessons ,so please send me more like that i appreciate that efforts .

4. Hassan says:

that very useful, thank you very much

5. Lilia Martinez says:

Thanks,for this lesson Iwould like to see the second part of Carmen but Idon´t have a credit or debit card.

6. hana ahmed says:

thanks for improving my English in an intersting way .the text and
    the slow introducing makes me follow and feel the story
    i found abeatiful seances like moon shone , illuminated faces and a flower of spring blooming ,

7. Rosa says:

Awesome story… Like it 🙂

8. rosi says:

Hi ,
    thanks for this lesson . I want to know the other part of story but have not credit or debit card .I like very much your theaching metods , its very helpful .
    All the best !

9. Tina says:

Hi,
    It is interested story. Thanks very much for this.
    Cheers,Tina.

10. nikolai says:

thats greate iam very interested in but it was so easy to learning.
    Thanks and welcome to all my world.

11. vitorino tilman says:

Dear friends,

Many thanks for your downloading video of carmen, so far i really like and very interesting this story of Carmen and Jose…it’s a really enjoying for listening and improver of our English grammar as well to know deeply about this story:…hope to see more vidoe for the next period, also is it a new lesson of that story were you offered to us, thank you very much,

Warm Regards,

12. mohsen says:

thanks alot for this story

13. le dong tan says:

Thank you very much for story. It help me learn English. I can read, hear and know culture knowleage in the srory. I also lean new works in story. Thanhk you again.

14. Thanh says:

Thank for your lessons !

15. ahmad says:

nice …………..thanks

16. surkew says:

thinks for your staff I’m always listening your advice and your episod and audio I’m impressed your atitude I hope send me your episode with title english your I’m constantly watting for your more episod and story
    by good luck

17. Dears Mark and Aaron
    Hi,

• Dears Mark and Aaron
      Hi,
      I have received your Email which is dated in May 23 , about story of Carmen , it is excited story , i really like these interesting stories , and it has many new words and sentences , and your audio is very clear and understandable .
      I sometimes change my mind and accept something after a long period of refusing to accept , that in ordinary things in my life and does not affect my dignity and my honor .
      The kissing is uncommon in my country !
      I think that happened between Carmen and Jose is the impression of love,passion ,and desire, beside the moonlight was beautiful and time sweet.
      thanks a lot for your helping
      Sincere
      mohamed anwar hassan
      24-5-2011

18. mona says:

this is a simple story which makes me understand passive.

19. nam says:

I really like this story, I want to learn more, thanks a lot

20. Mike says:

I am attracted by your sentimental voice. I am really moved by your enthusiastic teaching. Thank you very much, teacher.

21. Djoko says:

There are 2 kinds of kisses:
    1. A kiss is based on lust: this is done between the mouth with the mouth. And this should only be done by married the couple. And do it in the place closed. If we are not married couples, we are forbidden to do it.
    2. A kiss is based on genuine love. This is done only kiss our lover, child, parent, or family. This may be done in public places.
    I do not know about of Carmen story. Was Jose her husband? If Jose was her husband, it was naturally. But they should do it in the room (not in public places).

• Loss khan says:

This story is one of the most fascinating ones ever.See how deep it is constructed, especially its word orders:furiously/passionately.“passion”, “love” and “desire”and see how amazing its personification follows ‘He rained kisses on her. He rained kisses on her as the ocean rains waves on the beach’.(Jose’s kiss on Carmen’s cheeks,and the ocean’s waves on the beach.
      ‘Each kiss was like a flower of spring blooming in his heart. His heart was filled with passion. His heart was filled with desire. His heart was filled with love’. words lined up in a complete and perfect rhyme scheme. I like it the best.Thanks Mark and Aron.BE always blessed.

22. hninhnin aung says:

i really like this. it was interesting stories.

23. adelina says:

You always give us the best reading where we can learn, thank so much for your knowledges.

24. Cinthia says:

I think that happened with them the impression of first love, desire, passion …because the love is in the air and the moonlight was beautiful!!!!

I loved the text and will help me to study english.. thanks a lot!

• Suresh says:

The story of Kiss of Passion is narrated with beautiful words and phrases. The author used He rained kisses on her. He rained kisses on her as the ocean rains waves on the beach.Each kiss was like a flower of spring blooming in his heart. His heart was filled with passion. His heart was filled with desire. His heart was filled with love. Do you conflate the terms “passion”, “love” and “desire”? Here, each and every word is full of expression. If we also use the proper word at proper place, we can also make our conversation and writing very effectively. Words express our emotions.

Very beautiful story. I like it very much.

25. agt. says:

I think Carmen had been already seduced by José. It’s not good,at least for me, when a couple are kissing un public, there are other places to do that.

26. JWANA says:

thats greate iam very interested in

27. sharif says:

Hi,
    This clear and slow conversation make me easy to understand the English as a second language.

Thanks and welcome to all my world.

28. Trestiati Rachman says:

I think they are both seduce each other. There is no rejection from carmen and it is all started from when josh saw carmen eyes.