Do you trust me?

What do you think about love and trust? Are they the same thing? is trust an aspect of love? Do they always come together? Write your answer in the comments section below.

Maria: What time is it?
Matthew: 5:03.
Maria: Did you mean it? Would you marry me?
Matthew: Yes.
Maria: Why?
Matthew: Because I want to.
Maria: Not because you love me or anything like that, huh?
Matthew: I respect and admire you.
Maria: Isn’t that love?
Matthew: No, that is respect and admiration. I think that is better than love.
Maria: How?
Matthew: When people are in love they do all sorts of crazy things. They get jealous. They lie. They cheat. They kill themselves. They kill each other.
Maria: It doesn’t have to be that way.
Matthew: Maybe.
Maria: You’d be the father of a child you know isn’t yours.
Matthew: Kids are kids. What does it matter?
Maria: Do you trust me?
Matthew: Do you trust me first?
Maria: I trust you.
Matthew: Sure.
Maria: Yes.
Matthew: Then marry me.
Maria: I will marry you if you admit that respect, trust and admiration equal love.
Matthew: Ok. They equal love.
Maria: Good! I trust you. Now it’s your turn.
Matthew: What?
Maria: Go on up.
Matthew: Maria, that is pretty high.
Maria: Don’t you trust me?
Matthew:Of course I do.
Maria: Go on up.
Matthew: Maria,I am twice your size.
Matthew: If I fall on you from that height, I will kill you.
Maria: Trust me.
Matthew: This isn’t a matter of trust.
Maria:Matthew, Go up. I will break your fall. I promise.

Questions

Are you married?
What are your thoughts on marriage?
In your society, do people always get married or do they sometimes just live together?

This post is dedicated to the work of Hal Hartley. Thank you, Hal.

39 Responses to “Do you trust me?”

1. Manoo says:

Yes I did
    Marriage has two parts, spiritual and physically and they must be together.
    In my society people always get married.

2. Alicia says:

I’m widow. I was merried many years I believe that the trust, the respect and the love are together
    to help to have a good relation for many years with success.

3. mareg says:

for me today very nice because the lesson you can read and video to lesson
    again for me attractive

4. Rafiqul Islam says:

I think love and trust keep in with each other,
    Although, Man is a Emotional animal so that they can’t control their emotion, as a result He select the way which name is suicide.

5. ayan says:

yes I am married.
    well , being married changes people’s lifestyles and habits in ways that are personally and socially beneficial. Marriage is “seedbed” of prosocial behavior.
    In my society can.t live together without marrige . They married

6. Ahmed Raza says:

No i’m not married, in our society can not live together without marrying, in our society marriege just not involve two people , its the relation of two families.

7. Mohamed says:

The word love is a verb. I mean it is something we do and it does not happen suddenly. It is a process. Please do not get fooled by Hollywood movies which shows love as a sudden action or incidence. NO. Love is something we develop everyday!

Love you all,

Mody!

8. María Avendaño says:

I think people get married because they love each other and want to make a home as a couple.
    In my country some couples get married and others live together without marriage.

9. wais says:

Excellent

10. sun says:

very good.l love you

11. anna says:

More important is wedding in the church

12. anna says:

Mariage is only paper

13. Manoj Tindal says:

I’m an Indian and marriage is a promise in India. Its a lifetime relation.

14. Eman Egypt says:

um single, and in my country people getting married most of the time so fast with quick decisions because there is no idea of having sex before getting married so that they most of them just married to satisfy their needs. And for me I do believe that trust and love if they exist so its a successful relationship ever .. Iam in a relationship with the most wonderful man on earth, I just love him and by the way there is no way to find a reason of why you are in love with this person!, and for my kind of experience trusting people is not that difficult, and for me trust and love are something you feel.. and if your feelings were wrong so I can say that you’ve learnt a new lesson in life, and we will keep learning as long as we live in this planet.. if we kept telling ourselves that love brought pains and less comfort so we’ll never love or be loved .. trust your feelings and never let your brain stop thinking too ; )

15. María Avendaño says:

I believe that marriage is very important when you are in love and want to live with that person. However you need to be respected and have a lot of trust in that relationship.
    In my country many people get married and others live together.

16. Pablo says:

Marriage is only formality, a protocole. for me it is much better just to live with somebody. if it is true love you will be togethhe for the rest of your life regardeless if you are married or not. I am sure, that at this very moment hundred of people are filing for divorce. Going through a divorce and going through a lot legal dispute and all that turmoil, suffering and disturbance in one’s life. But maybe 3- 4 years earlier a big wedding, plenty of food, drink a lot of guests and promising each other to live for the rest of their lives together.ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS. I got married. I got divorced and now I am living with my exwife. We get along much better now , Take my Word for it. We are together not because we signed a paper but because we want to be togethe as a couple r. Respect, trust and admiration EQUAL LOVE. Please, don’t get me wrong. I know that there are a lot of couples out there who are married and get along well and they stick together, and push ahead as one . However in today’s world I think is wiser is more appropriate, “Play it safe”, just to be together without getting married. because I have come to realized once in a while you hear more and more sth. like this.” WE were living together but as soon as we got married the problems arose. I am not making this up, You know it as well. Ok,I gotta go Have a good day . This is a humble Chilean guy giving his perspective. Regards
    PS: Thank you to DEEP ENGLISH for providing this website to share our views.

17. Hodan says:

Successfully married couples never cheat on their spouse! To be truly in love is to be unequivocally and unconditionally dedicated to the one you love.

18. syed Gul says:

here in Pakistan mostly people do arrange marriages. here they trust some and marry other. this is how they pass the rest of their lives. but i personally believe that is better marry those whom we trust.

19. NESTOR says:

Sometimes the feeling of love, devanishes gradually because of the lack of trust. Couples must trust each other and I agree that trust is the platform that supports love. When we make marriage happen is we because we are really in love. Marriage is a tradition in the Venezuelan Society though many young couples have been living together and making new families, this last does not represent in fact Love. people may have a pleasant sensation during marriage Particularly at the beginning. We may call it pasion, but this can drop and love is affected. Love is also pasion for the other person. Some people may call it obsession. We get trapped with all these features. but we enjoy them and suffer as well. When there is a split up in marriage, LOVE does not disappear completely. I still remember the love I used to feel!

20. JUNAID ALI says:

Unconditional love and boundless trust gather together through marriage. Mere ‘living together may be conditional. Some words like love,trust,sincere ……etc cant be defined.

21. farhan says:

thanks again but i sent qrong email my coment sorry

22. farhan says:

yes i did maried and maried is the best way we can save our health and truste if i talk my own society
    we get maried not togather as bayfriend and girl freind. i thank you my good teachers

23. bashir ahmad says:

I am Bashir
    I am married and I love my wife , and she love me we have married 30 years ago but until now we think that we have married yesterday . in our society every man must married, they want to make a family and enjoy the life. love is the life and life is the love

24. shihab says:

I think trust some one is the first steps to love him. Second things if I love you that is include trust you but if I trust you not mean that I love you

25. JENNY JENNY says:

LOVE is the more important

26. shariq says:

It is not love and trust. Love makes the trust to each other, trust never do that same. as this vidio is not good to enough to show about love and trust.

27. Armenak says:

Yes, I am married.

I think, we can trust to someone without love, but we cannot to love someone without the trust.
    Early, people in Russia always got married, however it is not so now.

28. abdelouahhab fez morocco says:

let’s be clear, when the person’s heart is clean,love and trust dominate his/her words, emotions,behaviours but today things are up side down most `
    of people are more materialistic but love and trust have sipiritual meaning.You think materialistically and you want love and trust believe me it doesnot work.

29. Belal Hossain says:

I think, trust is a pillar of love, without trust love cannot be sustained, trust and love we can say one dollar or coin two sides. sometimes trust has developed love and some times trust has built strong love.

30. antoinette says:

I am single
    I think there is not the same thing but different between trust and the love
    the trust bring the love .
    but love is not give us the trust
    when there is no trust it is not good
    when there is a respect and admiration equal the love

31. Caro says:

I find differences in the concept of love and trust in each culture. In my case, nowadays commonly people choose love even though there is no real sense of that word. At the end, for myself there are both concepts because one doesn´t come without the other one. Both are part of the same thing in order to build a health and long-term relationship.

32. Milton says:

Hello! I’m marriage.

I think that you marriage when you wish to live with someone. Although, for some people, marriage isn’t essencial aspect to live with someone, but a I think that it is necessary to keep with someone or to try to keep in relationship, because you fight to do it right. In relationship exist good and bad moments that a couple have that effort to win and when you marriage in some religion I think that God bless. In my society, marriage is little search, but people live as if marriage.

33. Fariha Haidary says:

Yes, I am married.
    Married is very important to complete your half with your soulmate then after we have something called This is the beauty of life don’t miss it.
    Yes, in my society people always get married, because it’s the only evidence of love.

34. noha radwan says:

no , i am single
    it is wonderful life. because i will live with my darling, my live partner.
    i am Egyptian, in my society, people always get married, because Our religions and traditions requires us to marry as evidence and proof of love, in our country do not get into relationships before marriage, whatever we wish or we want to do we do with our husbands only

• Eman says:

well, it’s true that it’s not suppose to be in a relationship before your marriage and it’s all as a kind of respect to your family, society because it’s an old tradition and thoughts.. but as an advice to you before going into a first step with someone you don’t know truly, you should have know your guy before getting any step forward. it doesn’t mean to walk into the streets and share kisses in public , but we are in an open atmosphere somehow so try to understand your man and you father of your children closer to avoid troubles.. Wish you the best in life 🙂

35. pimracha boontun says:

We will do to keep a good relationship as a couple.
    U

36. Fernando says:

I think that is impossible to make a clear difference between both comcepts (trust and love).
    May be one and another are very similar or they are going together.
    In Spain usually and increasingly more people decides take the live together option without marriage.
    If you want demonstrate your real love to your partner, you must take a firm decision about it.
    The marriage is a great compromise to do (more so in these times) but it´s worth if you really trust on each other.