Things You Have to Do – The Work Page

What do you do?

What do you do?

means:

What is your job?

or

What do you do for a crust?

“Right now” or “Monday to Friday”?

“What do you do?”

means:

“What do you do from Monday to Friday?”

and

“What are you doing?

means:

“What are you doing right now at this minute?”

What are you doing right now?

The Employment Page

Positions Vacant

Are you looking for a job?

Work Wanted

Do you need staff?

Work Vocabulary

Have you ever worked as a taxi driver?

Have you ever worked as … ?

[adsense_id=”3″]

Work Discussion

Let’s talk about work.

Work Discussion Topics

Tell us about your job!

“Have to” and “want to”

I want to go out but I can’t because I have to go to bed early because I have to get up early and go to work tomorrow morning.

I want to watch television but I can’t because I have a test tomorrow and I have to study for it.

“Have to” and “need to”

They are used pretty much interchangeably:

I have to find a job.
I need to find a job.

“Need to” is a bit stronger.

Be aware of verb combination:

Sometimes we think we have to do something but we don’t really need to do it.

We need to breathe. We need to eat. We need to drink.

We think we need to buy expensive things but we don’t really have to. We just like to.

Here are some more ways to describe things you have to do:

have to
ought to
should
must

I have to go to work.
I must go to work.
I ought to go to work.
I should go to work.

We have to work to make a living but we get used to it and we develop a routine.

Positions Vacant
Work Wanted
The Obligation Page (coming soon)

World English Course

There are lots of things you can learn in the World English Course. There is a place where you can talk about work and there is also a place where you can find a job and a place where you can find staff. There is a place where you can have fun and there is a place where you can talk about food or family. There is also a place where you can talk about money or love or philosophy. You can study anything you want anytime you want. You can do it once a week or every day or any time you like. Have fun! Work hard! Tell your friends and family members! Enjoy!

[adsense_id=”1″]

Links to More Lessons on More Pages

The Work Page

Routine and Habit – The Routine Page

Verbs in Context in Many Tenses with Audio

Philosophy of Grammar and the Idea of Verbs as Actions

A Worthwhile Job

Verbs and Tenses – The Tense Page

Present Participle or Gerund or “ing” Form

Verbal Phrases 1 (with Audio)

Verbal Phrases 2 (with Audio)

Verbal Phrases 3 (with Audio)

Verbal phrases 4 (with Audio)
Verbal Phrases 5 (with Audio)

Verbal Phrases 6 (with Audio)

[adsense_id=”3″]

158 Responses to “Things You Have to Do – The Work Page”

1. Azhar says:

Hi everybody,
    I’m HVAC technician (Heating Ventalation air conditioning) i working in company of maintnance for 10 year, i like my job and want improve my english language to be good when i need travel for bring some equaipments,i’m good on writing but poor on talking, if someone need practice english talk with me please add my email on messnger, azherabc@yahoo.com

2. i am working as a Medical Secretary

3. Santos says:

Dear everybody,
    I really love this method of teaching, I enjoy and I hope that this method will help me to develop my basic English to become a real native speaker in the future. So it will make me self confidence and will not depend on anybody to speak for me. I hope that all of you may enjoy this kind of method teaching.
    Thanks for A.J. Hoge and other great teachers around the world.

All the best,

Santos

4. Aan Nur says:

Hi, thanks for this link.Very help me to improve my conversation skill. I am an accouting teacher from Indonesia. I’l like to meet and share with everyone to practice it. Add me at biannur@yahoo.com
    Thanks a lot.

5. hanaphuong says:

Hi!

I think we need to talk together, so we can speak english better.

i’m a sales about adverting (Newspaper and TV), sometime I work a marketing for customer.

I hope the student in this link,talk online than more.

Thanks and Best regard

Hana

6. Ikhwan says:

Hi,
    I am working as site engineer and i do not like my job. Still looking for suitable job

7. zelia says:

I’ m a teacher’s retired.

I’m working in myself house.
    At this moment I’m writing for you.
    I am not looking for work.
    No, I’m not a employer thefore I’m not need a staff to work.
    To I make a crust on a hurt I need to put a cream to treat on it.

No. I was never driver a taxi. I have always worked as a teacher.

8. ohhhhh………… this lesson very very useful for me and all my friends i’m sri lankan people but i usually speaking English because this type of lesson very important for me
    sahankw@gmail.com

thaks dear

9. pedro says:

Hi. My name is pedro, i`m a teacher and I`d like to learn english. if somebody wants to do it, i`m ready.

10. Abdul Hayat says:

Thanks for reply. it’s very useful for me,
    I am Painting Inspector and I will get training at International Trainer soon.
    maybe, the next season will be use for improve my English to prepare study and pass to the examination.
    thanks for all

11. Rajeshkumar says:

Hi everyone,

I love english and I must say without love is not possible to do anything.
    If anyone call me to learn english I shall go there instead of going to temple, Church or any other religious place.

Thanks
    Regards

Rajesh (India)

12. wasl says:

hi thank you i work with DANIDA in Afghanistan IT IS danish project i work in finance side

13. VIMAL PRAKASH says:

I want to learn English because I want to speak fluently; I am a Civil Engineer in a Privet company.

Thaks
    Regards
    Vimal Prakash (India)

14. VIMAL PRAKASH says:

Thanks
    Vimal Prakasjh (India)

15. zufan says:

Hi Thank you very mcuh my job is Secretary and I suppert this etching so very very thank you.

16. Sotravuth says:

Hi Many thnk very much. I am a Cambodian. My position is a Staff Committee who is one person from each TIC office and one management representative from the Sydney office. The responsibility of the management representative is to ensure the projects are relevant and prioritised.

Thanks,
    Kind regards,
    Sotravuth

17. Mithon says:

Hi everybody,
    I’m Mizan i working in a company of sales & Marketing for 7 year, i like my job and want improve my english language to be good when i need travel for attending conference,i’m good on writing but poor on talking, if someone need practice english talk with me please add my email on messnger. mithon03@yahoo.com

18. alsamiee says:

I AM YEMENI i work for traveling agency i liked the site it is really useful

19. Ozair says:

Hi’
    I work in a software firm in India.I frequently need to communicate with clients in UK.So i have to be fluent in English.I have downloaded the IS(both courses) and started working on them.The thing is that i need to manage my time efficiently to get max out of these courses and this website.

20. bico says:

I need to find some ferind

21. ziad Alawi says:

Dear all
    This program is very useful ,i need if you could plz mor doficult conversation level.

with best regard’s

ziad Alawi
    22/9/2010/jordan

22. moh says:

hi everybody there .. thanks for this lesson

23. kayally says:

Wow that is great lesson ,, really that is very useful and very powerful for anyone want to learn about using English at work thanks for ROCKS team who work on !

24. Krassimir Petrov says:

My first is a sport photographer, but the last years I work whit my wife at our litle advertisment atelie where making diferent serveces …

25. Abdullah says:

Thanks a lot for that begining. I feel confidence now. and I will be better in the near future.