1. Education and Mathematics
1.Children are taught to add and subtract before they are taught to multiply and divide.
2. History and Literature
3. She added up the bill then she added on the service charge and sales tax.
4. Mix the raw egg with the melted butter then add the other dry ingredients and mix them in.
5. Health Advice
5. There are too many preservatives and additives so I don’t buy that kind of thing any more.
6. Addition and subtraction are usually learned before multiplication and division.
7. Customer Service
8. The manager said that additional staff would be required so we put an advertisement in the newspaper.
Do you know where to stay in your city if you don’t have anybody to stay with?
11. Government and Housing
12. Product Development
12. The beverage originally contained a secret ingredient which was apparently cocaine.
13. History and Computers and Numbers
13. The original computer was just an adding machine and it could do a limited number of things.
Note – Headings
Did you notice the headings? The headings add context to the vocabulary phrases so you can learn the vocabulary in context. Much of meaning is in context and you should learn a phrase rather than just an individual word.
How did you score?
Tell us what your score was. What mark did you get out of fourteen. Write it in the comments section below. Write it like this:
I aced it. I got full marks. I got fourteen out of fourteen!
I got ten out of fourteen. I did reasonably well.
I only got four. I did not do so well.
Was this lesson too difficult? Try something easier: An easy lesson (the big dream)