a title is a bundle of rights — bulk entitlements and environment entitlements
titular head of state — title do you use — are usually entitled to receive —
what you’re entitled to receive — workers became “entitled” to their benefits
Land Titles Office — entitles the bearer — but now I use “Miss”
was given the title — information on leave entitlements — a range of entitlements —
sense of entitlement — entitlement mentality
Although there are 14 questions below, there are 15 answers because number 2 contains spaces for two answers. Write your answers on a scrap of paper then click the link at the bottom of the page to check your answers. This one is hard. Write your score out of fifteen in the comments section on the answer page. It is difficult. Good luck!
“Title” basically means “rank” or “designation” or “identity” or “position within a hierarchical system”. We form other words from this root but to be entitled is to have the right to something. Look at how it is used:
The Questions – Gap Fill
1. After he was made a Member of the House of Lords, he ………… , of Baron and he began to socialise with other barons, and counts and dukes and all the peers of the realm rubbed shoulders with him in the exclusive clubs of London.
– Which ………… ?
– Before my gender reassignment I used “Mr” ………… I am not married yet.
– If you get married, will you be “Mrs Pollenwater?
– No. I would like to keep my maiden name.
3. Kim Yong-nam, North Korea’s ……….., had a meeting with the visiting UN Undersecretary General Kenzo Oshima on Thursday to speak about aid for the country.
4. In property law, …………. in a piece of property in which a party may own either a legal interest or equitable interest.
5. This ticket ………….. to free admission on any Sunday.
6. When a client has been signed up as an account client with the ………….., a customer code and a user ID will be allocated. The customer code is used only for account billing purposes. Clients are informed by the system when a charge will be incurred and are billed once a month by the Land Titles Office.
7. ………… are legal rights to water granted by the Minister for Water under the Water Act 1989. They provide the right to take or store a volume of water subject to a range of conditions.
8. People whose employment is terminated because of redundancy …………… a termination payment that may include outstanding wages, payment for unused annual and long service leave and severance pay.
9. Until the new arrangements come into effect, you’ll need to refer to the award that applies at your workplace or the employment agreement under which you are employed to work out exactly …………….. Ask your manager or human resources department for more details. They will be able to provide you with a copy of your workplace agreement if you cannot locate your own copy.
10. …………… including annual leave, sick leave, maternity leave and long service leave can be found on Victoria Online.
11. When you get a job, you are entitled to …………… (or employment conditions), depending on whether you work on a full-time, part-time or casual basis. Full-time and part-time workers are entitled to four weeks paid annual holidays (annual leave) each year.
12. Billionaire mining magnate Gina Rinehart has attacked Australia’s “…………… ” and called on the nation’s leaders to emulate former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher.
13. In clinical psychology and psychiatry, an unrealistic, exaggerated, or rigidly held ……………. may be considered a symptom of narcissistic personality disorder.
14. Originally, the term “entitlement” in the United States was used to identify federal programs that, like Social Security and Medicare, got the name because …………… by paying into the system. In recent years the meaning has been used to refer also to benefits, like those of the food stamps program, which people become eligible to receive without paying into a system.