Check your answers and add up your score then write it in the comments section at the bottom of the page.
1. The Composition of ASEAN
1. The aims of ASEAN include the acceleration of economic growth, social progress and the protection of regional peace and stability with the opportunity to discuss differences peacefully. When the organisation was founded in 1967, it did not include Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos but they joined later.
2. Information about Products
2. Batteries are not included for any of the toys you see on display. You have to pay extra for them.
3. Some Definitions from Sociology
3. A socially inclusive society has been defined as one where all people feel valued, their differences are respected, and their basic needs are met so they can live in dignity. It is contrasted with social exclusion, which is the condition of being excluded from the community.
4. Bilingualism and Cognitive Advantage
4. A study has shown that evidence for a cognitive advantage that bilingual individuals have over monolingual people may be be less conclusive than had previously been thought. The researchers found that there was a tendency not to publish results which conflicted with the idea that bilingualism provided an advantage, and this skewed results in favour of the idea that bilingualism was an advantage.
5. The Ministry of Social Inclusion
5. The first Rudd Ministry contained the portfolio of Minister of Social Inclusion, but the position was abolished in July 2013. The ministry worked to end homelessness and bridge the gap between the “haves” and “have-nots”.
6. The Habits of an Eccentric Millionaire
6. In the latter part of his life Howard Hughes became known for his eccentric habits and reclusive lifestyle.
7. Government Payments to Junk Food Companies
7. A study has found that junk food firms including Pepsi and Nestle have been given large sums of money to improve the quality of their products and combat the obesity epidemic which society faces. Critics have suggested that the government is too close to these large corporations.
8. An Explosion in the Market Place
8. Eight people including two young children were injured in an explosion which rocked the central market district of the capital city early this morning. Rescuers are still sifting through debris looking for survivors.
9. The Rules of Exclusive Social Clubs
9. The Hurlingham Club is an incredibly exclusive and ultra private gentleman’s club which was established in the 1800s and still survives to this day. The waiting period to join is several years and prospective members have to be nominated by two existing members.
10. Future Plans and Responsibility for Others
10. If your plans do not include him then you have a responsibility to tell him early on in the piece so that he can make other arrangements.
11. Working out Total Cost
11. I included the cost of the petrol when I added up the bill so if you want to make a detailed account, you should remember to count the petrol as coming out of the money which was set side for food, rather than the money which was set aside for other things. In the end the total should be the same. Is any money missing?
12. Travel Insurance Exclusion Clauses
12. When you take out travel insurance you should be aware of what is and is not included in your policy, for example you may not be covered for playing sport while overseas and it is important to read the fine print and to know which activities are not insured.