1. The Rules of the Picnic
1. There will be an excursion with a hike in the forest and then a picnic by the lake. Food and other refreshments ….. , but alcohol is not allowed.
The verb phrase “will be provided” is one of the strongest collocations this verb takes in its primary meaning of to “allow for” or “prepare for” or simply “to give”.
2. Borrowing Money
2. It is OK to borrow money provided that you pay it back.
A variation of the rule that one should neither a borrower nor a lender be, is stated in the conditional phrase: “provided that …”
Link to PAY lesson
3. Positive Health Outcomes for Minorities
3. To understand if patient–provider race-concordance is associated with improved health outcomes for minorities, studies were undertaken to ascertain what the situation was and there is inconclusive but convincing evidence to support the assertion that patient–provider race-concordance is associated with positive health outcomes for minorities. The importance of community cannot be overstated.
This one can be worked out from context because we see the noun phrase, patient provider race concordance” which is the answer, occurs at the end of the passage as well.
This means perhaps it is better for each ethnic minority group to have access to doctors and nurses from their own culture. Is it not more important that the medical staff are professional and competent?
4. Providing for a Family
4. If you are not able to be a good providor then you are not ready to start a family.
The material and emotional needs of a family are complex. There is a lot of pressure on the main bread winner to be a good provider. Note “not able ..” requires an infinitive “to PLUS VERB” and “to be a good prividor” in the context of family is a very very strong collocation. Is that a cultural universal? Is the family important everywhere?
5. The Social Contract
5. It is the responsibility of the government to provide food, clothing and shelter and also health and education, for all the members of its population, or at least to allow them the freedom and opportunity to seek those things. How much should the government intervene in the life of the community?
The social contract between individuals and the government is an understanding that if you scratch my back, I will scratch yours and vice versa. However when basic needs are not met, relationships break down and society falls apart. The infinitive “to provide food” describes in rough terms the responsibility of any society because when food is no longer available, things fall apart.
The collocation “it is the responsibility of NOUN PHRASE plus INFINITIVE” is a strong one.
6. Legal Provisions
6. A proviso is a condition or provision which is inserted in a legal document such as a will or a contract and the operation of the contract or will generally depends on that proviso, for example “Should he not outlive his mother, all of his property and personal effects are bequeathed to her.”
This is a definition of the term “proviso”.
7. Amendments to Legislation
7. He worked hard all his life and provided for his family but when it came time to collect his pension, the law changed and he was not eligible, which left him out on a limb so far his finances went.
Note the metaphor “out on a limb” which means “in trouble” like a cat trapped in a tree.
We see here the primary meaning “to provide for one’s family”
8. Storage Advice
8. In this article you will read advice from a trapper who lives in Alaska and is worried that newcomers to the region will not know how to store their provisions high and dry where they are safe from animals and from the effect of the weather.
The missing phrase is an infinitive.
9. Transport and Development
9. Without the provision of affordable public transport, the area will never become developed because people are not easily able to travel to their places of employment and there is a shortage of housing.
The answer is a noun phrase.
10. The History of the Internet
10. Dial-up Internet access uses a modem and a phone call placed over the public switched telephone network (PSTN) to connect to a pool of modems operated by an ISP.(Internet Service Providor)
Here we see a definition of Internet Service Provider.
11. Definition of Service Provider
11. A service provider (SP) is a company that provides organizations with consulting, legal, real estate, education, communications, storage, processing, and many other services. Although the term service provider can refer to organizational sub-units, it is more generally used to refer to third party or outsourced suppliers, including telecommunications service providers (TSPs), application service providers (ASPs), storage service providers (SSPs), and Internet service providers (ISPs)
You have to insert noun phrases in this question.
12. Immigration and Education Visa Requirements
12. If you are intending to change education provider, you should contact your current education provider for information. In most circumstances the new education provider will be restricted from enrolling you if you have not completed six months of the main course of study for which your visa was granted.
The collocations “the new education provider” and “current education provider” help work this one out.
13. Rules for Entry and Exit of the Kingdom
13. Providing he is able to pay his own way, any person is entitled to enter or leave the Kingdom at will but it is necessary to prove that one has the necessary resources by showing a bank statement or other proof of income in order to obtain the right of entry and exit at will.
We might see this proviso at the Immigration office for a country which is a kingdom, like KSA, UK and Thailand. What other kingdoms do you know?